Saturday, July 31, 2010

Goodbye, John

I didn't know John Callahan's name, but I sure knew his work, primarily from Funny Times. He was a paraplegic cartoonist, and, perhaps because he was a paraplegic, felt free to lampoon pretty much everybody (including paraplegics). His work was hugely funny, and upset all the right people.

In articles about him, I see that it appears that many of the people who complained about his insensitivity were not, themselves, members of the groups who were the targets of his barbs. I have a suspicion that this is frequently true of those who rush to the rescue of the offended.

Callahan apparently held a pen in one hand, then held that with the other, and used his shoulders to move the pen around. In addition to being a paraplegic at age 21, he stopped drinking about age 26. (I gotta learn to stop whining.)

So long, Johnny. I wish I had known you better. I will seek to do so through your work, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment