Saturday, September 18, 2010

week of 9/13

Busy week. Monday did library thing, Tuesday bike shop thing (for both, see supra), Wednesday was my first meeting of the condo board, to which I am newly elected. Thursday I was home, but my wife went back to Polish lessons... so it was Friday night before we got to hang out much together. We had a "date" looking for jeans at Target; she is disappointed in the quality and cut of the stuff on offer there (and, apparently, pretty much everywhere else). I on the other hand, am now the possessor of two pair of regular-fit (read: not wide-cut-for-old-guys-flabby-thighs) jeans in the nominal size I used to wear in college, 33 years ago. WOO-HOO!

Regional meeting this week - which means group supervision, which means I get all anxious about my fellow staff members, but especially administration, scrutinizing my work. It's getting bad; I'm going away on vacation soon,but I plan to go for counseling or something to reduce the anxiety on my return. (One of the symptoms of the problem is the anxiety over going on vacation: I hate to go because I feel like they're gonna look at all my stuff while I'm away, and decide to fire me half an hour after I come back. Do you think it's easy to be this crazy? My wife says, "You make it look easy.")

Ride partner is claiming sick (I think he's really just sick of riding with me), so I went out on a ride with the Princeton Freewheelers around the Sourlands; about 35 miles. Not a great average speed, but a huge range for me, from as low as 8.5mph on one of the long uphills to 35+mph on one of the downhills. The ride leader said her computer showed it was a 2900-plus calorie ride. It was her first ride as leader, and it was a good route, with tough uphills, flying downhills, and enough flats to get some crankin' in, and she was properly careful of keeping the group together.

Tomorrow is the Freewheelers picnic, with an all-paces ride. I'll probably do an easy pace; I did 30 miles yesterday at a fairly fast clip, and this today. I deserve a cruise!

In other bike news, those Velo Orange derailleur cables needed adjustment again this week. They're cheap, and I think now I know why. I'm goin' back to Jagwires.

No comments:

Post a Comment