Wednesday, April 18, 2012

lucky & goofy

There are about three posts linked into one here; bear with me.

I didn't expect to get a ride at all today, as I said in my last post, but ours was the only delivery on the truck, and the truck was in our condo association before The Excellent Wife left for work. So I threw the stuff in the car and headed off to Hightstown, hoping to get in on the Ride to the Ride that Erich, Bob w, and Al L do. But traffic, construction, and whatnot conspired agains me, so I changed plans, and drove stright to thw Allentown start (and barely got there in time!). Eleven guys, all regulars except for me, and we took this route to Pemberton and back. There's an excellent bakery there that I'm sure I'll never find again! Almost 41 miles, ar over 15mph! Some were proud (although tired); others complaining.

I got to talking with one rider about the last time I'd ridden with them, and we spoke about how tough it is when there are a number of riders along, with whose styles you're not familiar... and then I made a couple of boneheaded, terrfying mistakes. It was not my best day; I hope those guys know that I'm not always like that, and I promise to behave next time!

I'm leading a team of Freewheelers on the Tour de Franklin at the end of the month, and I heard that on Monday, a woman who is planning to ride with me was asking for a description to see if she knew me. The usual, "Fifty-something and thin" could be about half of the male membership fo the club. so that wasn't helpful! I heard that another rider described me as "goofy-looking"... and if you check the pictures below, you'll see that a case could be made.

See, fellow rider Ed C, who goes on the Sunday rides with me, has started packing his camera. I didn't ride on Easter, but he did, and got a few pictures:

Easter, four riders
That's Mark H on the left, Laura OLPH next, Matt (an occasional rider with us), and photographer Ed C. in the white top and green hat.

 

COOL pink Pinarello!

I don't know the rider... but I LOVE those pink and black Pinarellos!

 

Winter Larry

Winter Larry, the Sunday leader. He won't continue leading into the spring and summer, but he's been great all winter.

Below are some pics from last Sunday's ride to Jackson:

 

the crew, puffin' up a hill

Winter Larry leads the crew

That's Winter Larry up there, leadin' us all.

 

That guy leanin' over his handlebars in the long sleeves and tights is Alf. I've referred to him in a couple of posts this week; he's been showing me what it means to be good on the hills. The guy in the "Old Guys who get Fat in Winter" jersey, on the left..., well, YOU'd describe him as "goofy-looking", too, wouldn't you? Anyway, that's me.

And here's a good pic of the lake in Cranbury, the town we leave from on Sundays:

Lake in Cranbury

No comments:

Post a Comment