Sunday, August 5, 2012

post event ride

Gary W and his wife did the century, the 100-mile ride on the Princeton Freewheeler's Event yesterday. I'm not sure he thought of that when he agreed to lead today (ride leaders make the commitment three to eight weeks in advance, I understand), and he was complaining of the pain in his legs, and warning of the slower-than-usual pace he planned before we left today to do this ride.

The map might need some explanation: I drove to Bagel Street in Plainsboro, then parked behind Cliff H's office in the office condos adjacent, and rode to Etra Park for the start (that's the route cutting across the middle, towards the little loop below Twin Rivers, towards the southeast on the map, which is Etra Park).  Then we did the route Gary picked, stopping at Pierre's in Monmouth Junction, way up north, then went back, and I retraced my route (mostly) back to Cliff H's to get the car. I figure the ride was about 42-43 miles, and my ride to and from the car was on top of that.

I thought I'd have to pull the whole way today, since Gary, his wife Donna, and Dave H had all done the century yesterday (the other riders were Dianne, Sherman [whom I don't think I've met before], treasurer Peter F [who didn't get to ride the Event yesterday; he was taking care of the finances], and Don S - and me, of course), but it sure didn't work out that way. I kept waiting for Gary to slow down, and he kept saying he thought his legs were about to give out, but I bet we were less than ten miles from the end (and into a stiff headwind) before he really slowed down. Don't let my average fool you: I was staying back with the slower riders, and the hotshots were up front waiting at several of the stops. These guys are tough! (Bob W and a woman I don't know came to the start, but left to do their own ride; I suspect hearing us complain about how tired we were might have put 'em off. )

We don't go in that direction much; there were a number of roads new to me (I knew that even though I'm always lost) and a few intersections I recognized, and then immediately I would lose my orientation when we'd turn in a new direction, onto a road with which I was unfamiliar from driving. These roads are also pretty, and I hope to do more up in this direction - there might be places I could ride from home!

Thanks, Gary. I'm impressed. (And how, exactly, do you pronounce your last name?)


No comments:

Post a Comment