Saturday, January 2, 2021

in with the new

 

Above, Tom H lays down the law on Alexander Road.

Although none of the stuff that made 2021 awful has passed yet (we are yet afflicted by both the coronavirus and our orange president), I'm certainly ready to move past all that, and so when Tom invited a few of us on a pickup ride out of Cranbury today, I was ready to make believe that all my troubles were over, and good times had come again.

Although the Cranbury lot was lookin' pretty dismal, even with two other rides going out of there.






Nonetheless, we braved the raw cold (and raw it was when we started!). Smarter heads than mine had figured that the wind would be substantial so Tom plotted a route that led us into the wind on the way to the Thomas Sweet in Montgomery, on the theory (mostly proven correct) that we'd have a tailwind on the way back.




Tom took us across Route 1 on Alexander Road, partly to check out the bridge that's been open a few months and partly because it's one of the reduced-risk Route 1 crossings. Shortly before we turned onto Alexander Road, we came upon FreeWheeler Dr Len, out for a solo. He's got the same uncommon bike jacket as Bob N. From the picture below, I decided to call 'em Team Pea Soup.

Dr Len left us shortly before the rest of us stopped at Thomas Sweet.


On the way back, we took a number of the roads I take on the rides I lead; it was pleasant not to be so lost as I usually am. As we went through the path at Magill, Pete had a flat. He tossed the empty tube at Ricky G, and got a ringer on Ricky's bike with it. It was memorable.


Also memorable was the water level at the Griggstown Causeway. The Causeway was locked, but we got across... but while Moses and his followers may have crossed dryshod, we were definitely wet-shod by the time we got to Canal Road.



I had the worst squeak on this ride: perhaps it was the chain, or the bottom bracket, or the jockey wheels... but a few miles before the end, the squeak stopped. Now, maybe it was because whatever dirt had gotten into the workings had worked itself out... but maybe it was because whatever part was offending had finally completely disintegrated, and I'm a few miles from having the drivetrain completely dissolve from right underneath me.

Well, the chain is off for a new paraffin lube, the jockey wheels have been greased, and a new bottom bracket is on order. One of those things oughta fix it.

See our ride page here.

One more thing: The Excellent Wife (TEW) got me the Planet Bike USB Grateful Red light to hang from my seatbag for Christmas; it is Just.The.Thing. Here it is keeping the seatstay light company.


I hate having to worry about batteries, and a USB-chargeable light that clips to my seatbag, so I can swap it from bike to bike, is a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment