Wednesday, September 19, 2012

back to olde world bakery

Before I do this post, I have to say that that last post about the "Velominati Rules" has got me thinking. There will probably be a post soon about MY "rules", or maybe the "Anti-Rules". It may take several posts, and I'm sure there will be contradictions in them.

That said, today was my off-Wednesday, and I was glad to see, last evening, an email from Erich W about the Ride-To-The-Ride, with the inevitable terrible joke (they're almost a guarantee of authenticity that this is, indeed, an Erich W email) and the news that he planned to depart at 8:10. I got there early, after a couple of morning bagels, and joined, Erich, Al L, Mary F, and Don S for the ride to Allentown. I got to pulling, and saw only Al in my mirror for a while... and when I saw the others, they were way back, so I slowed, but I got a "Harrumph" from Al, and couldn't ignore the implicit challenge... so I continued to pull him at about 19-20mph to Allentown.

We did this route,going down to the Olde Worlde Bakery in Smithville, one of my favorite stops. We started with thirteen, and picked up the recently-married (like, this past weekend!) Larry C, who joined us on the way. In case I haven't made it abundantly clear, this is my favorite time of year, and even though I still can't decide if I'm too warm or too cold with what I'm wearing, both the temperature and the quality of the light made it a fun, beautiful ride.

On the way back, most of the group got ahead of leader Dennis W; for the last six miles or so of the main part of the ride, he changed the direction, cutting off, or "Spraguing", the rest of the ride (the name comes from Don Sprague, who is famous in the Freewheelers for doing mid-ride course changes to cut off people in front of him). One of the people who we cut off was Don himself... although some of the glee that we hoped would ensue was mitigated when we realized that none of the riders in front were aware that they had suffered this ignominy.

On the way back to Etra, the park from which the Ride-To-The-Ride leaves, we had a bit of a headwind, and I realized once again I hadn't eaten enough. My weight is still up a bit, and I haven't found the sweet spots for feeling OK but being at a reasonable weight yet.

Got home, and rebuilt the rear brake; the quick-release had been giving me trouble before I left. It works now - it just needed a cleaning and a bit of assembly grease (but be sure to keep the pads and wheel surfaces clean!).

No comments:

Post a Comment