Monday, November 11, 2013

the old guys don't need me to sweep

I was off today for Veteran's day, and decided to improve upon the time by riding with the Old Guys, as I used to on Wednesdays and sometimes do now on Fridays. The Monday ride leaves from Etra Park in Hightstown, and in this cold weather, the old guys usually shorten their ride, so to add miles, I drove to Cranbury and rode a few miles from there to the start.

Eighteen of us did this ride. I was surprised to see so many on a cold day (it was about 44° at the start; it warmed up a bit later, then clouds came and it cooled again). The old guys have a range of cycling abilities, and within a short time, we were spread out over half a mile or more, with the strong riders up front, and me and some slower guys in the back.

Now, some of those slower guys ride slower because they're just slow, it's true. But a number of 'em ride slower because it's just not important to 'em to ride fast. They're in the back telling stories, trading insults, and catching up, and not being bothered by a need to impress me or anyone else.

Further, I sweep for 'em when I go... but I only go with 'em about 5-10% of the times they go out in a year, and they don't need my sweep services. They look out for each other, but they know the roads, and most of 'em can get back on their own. Sometimes somebody needs a pull, but they keep an eye on one another pretty well, even when the group separates and breaks up.

We did break up after the stop; two of the slower guys and I got separated from the faster main group, but they would have done well without me; we three kept in visual contact and set a pace we all could handle. We got into the stop as one of the faster guys was pulling out. I caught up with Bruce K, who lives in Cranbury, and we rode back to his house together, then I got back to the car.

Pic's below:






That above is another picture I like more than I have any right to do.


There's a better picture of that mask further down. Don't worry; he's not about to be involved in a bike-jacking.


It's not as good as Califon, but I really like this stop in Jackson Mills.




The fellow on the left above (I've lost his name) has asthma, and wouldn't be able to ride in this cold were it not for that mask. It stands out from his face a bit farther than a surgical mask, and keeps a quantity of air warm. When he breathes, the pre-warmed air is much easier on his lungs than the cold outside air.


That little girl above, in the red tutu and the silver boots, was one of the highlights of the ride. She was a handful to her mom, I'm sure, but she was a source of entertainment to us.

Did I mention I like pictures of bikes?


No comments:

Post a Comment