Sunday, November 17, 2013

shortish, warmer-than-i-expected ride with winter larry

After yesterday's ride on the Columbia Trail, I was tired today when I got up (that ride was tougher than I expected). The weather was iffy when I went to bed (I'm an early-to-bed kind of guy: down about 9pm, up about 4-5 am), but the prediction was better this morning... nonetheless, I decided to forgo extra miles and meet the folks in Cranbury for Winter Larry's regular Sunday ride.

Marco leads a slower ride out of the same place (the Cranbury Knapp's lot) at the same time, so only a dozen of the eighteen-or-so in the lot were for Larry's ride. It was raw cold when we started; I had three layers on, and tights, but others had shorts, and I think Laura OLPH had arm warmers which she may later have doffed. My three layers were far too much; I shed one at the early stop at Stonebridge Deli (they still treat us like folks there!).

We did this route. It's a bit short, for two reasons: there was fog, and then the fog turned to mist, which was heavy enough that it might have been rain (but it wasn't). Every time we stopped (at an intersection, or for a crossing), my glasses fogged up from the humidity. And when we looked to where the weather was likely to come from, clouds were threatening; we thought it might be good to cut this a bit short and not get caught in rain, if it were to come. Also, some of our number had commitments and had to get back. So 37 miles, at a pretty good pace for a "B" ride.

Some news; I haven't seen Mark H for months (there's a good picture of him below). It turns out he had a crack in his titanium frame, and it took him a while to get a new frame; he's now got it (another Ti, of course), made up with most of the parts from his previous bike. I also have seen Ed C only rarely for about the past year, but he came out; grant-writing season is over, so we may see some more of him.

A few pic's below:


I like that one above of Al L layin' down the law. He and Dan R didn't go on our ride, but Andrew, on the recumbent, did.


Above: Mark H. Could there be any question?






No comments:

Post a Comment