Sunday, August 11, 2019

computer deaths and weekend rides

Not one, but BOTH of my computers have died in the past week. The Ultra Geeky Linux Computer suffered what I thought was a motherboard problem, but is more likely a power supply problem, and in trying to fix it I screwed up the CPU, so I'm taking some time going back to fix that. Then during a recent Windows 10 upgrade, the laptop also died last night. I can't be without a working computer, so I'm typing this on a new Lenovo with some extra bells and whistles. One bell it's missing is a decent keyboard, so the typing goes less than wonderfully; I'll be glad to get the desktop working again (I guess I've got one foot in the geek's camp and the other among the Luddites. With my legs that far apart, I'm feelin' a bit exposed...)

But I did get a couple of rides in this weekend. Yesterday, Tom H planned 60-something miles in the flats of Burlington. Ricky G, Jack H, Sergei, Brian, and I met Tom in Bordentown.







It was listed as a B ride, but we took off hot from the gate (I'm not going to blame anyone; I was keeping up and more as much as anyone). We averaged above 17mph most of the way.

We made a stop at a Wawa about 20 miles in, where a delegation of local worthies were hangin' out outside, smoking and opining about the deterioration of the neighborhood and all things generally; they made jocular references to stealing our bikes, then complained that there were no motors in 'em, then assured us that while they wouldn't steal anything, there were forces in the neighborhood who would (allowing us to draw our own conclusions about to whom they might be referring). It was an unpleasant stop, and we got out with some haste... but not before noticing that one of their cigarettes had apparently ignited a conflagration in the smokers post where they were to drop their butts. We put it out with some of the water we had.

Then to the Brendan Byrne forest, where there was a toilet which the Wawa lacked, and which had nicely paved roads (and some shade). Then onto Sooy Place Road for about 11 miles. If you're going to ride in this area, you've gotta take some of the few roads that are there, and sometimes you go for miles with no turnoff. Well, with no chance of getting lost, some of our number went off the front and disappeared. When we finally caught up to them, miles later, they said they had not been that far in front.

Maybe not. I still had an average over 17 mph.

We passed up another Wawa to stop at Olde World Bakery.



That was only about twelve miles from the start, but I was cooked, and allowed myself to fall back, and I think there was a rider or two who was glad of the company and the excuse to ease off.

My average on my GPS was 16.8, although the ride page says I went faster. On the other hand, my GPS said I had well over 3000' of climb, where the ride page (after correction - sorry, Terry) shows less than 1700'. So there's that.

Today, I led my Sunday gang on an easy 35-or-so around Hillsborough, Blauwenburg, and Montgomery. I rode to the start from home, and had to get this of these women fly-fishing.


Not something I commonly see.

I had eight riders.







While we were waiting, Sr. Francisco, the mechanic at Kim's Bikes with whom I used to ride (when I could keep up), rolled in. He was taking a cyclocross bike on the trail.


We mostly did my usual route around Hillsborough and Skillman, although Bob N gave me a detour that avoids that aeons-long light at Homestead Road and 206 (but you still get to ride over all the annoying hills on Homestead Road! Oh, joy.).

The weather was perfect; there was a cool breeze all day. The group stayed together except for some sprints, and there was social chatter, which ias part of what I look for on the rides I lead.

Just before the stop, Prem got a wicked gash in the side of his tire, and was going to call for a ride home, but Peter R would have none of it, Well, I had a tire boot, and someone else had a tube, and we managed to get Prem's ridiculously-tight tire off, fixed, and changed... well, if not quickly, then at least before the leaves turned.





And then to Thomas Sweet, where the weather was so nice, we mostly hung out outside.


Laura gets a smoothie made with apple juice; it comes in the best colors.


And I noted the collection of socks we were sporting today; it demanded witness:






Maybe I'll do a "wear your best socks" ride one of these days.

Ride page here. Don't you want to see? (As usual, that one includes my rides to and from home. The morning ride is slower because I'm usually juggling a couple off bagels for breakfast on the way in. Out pace on the ride was a bit faster... but not much.)

And so far, this computer is acceptable. But I hope I can get my desktop computer going soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment