Sunday, April 3, 2022

back again

 

I just looked it up: I hadn't been out with my usual riding pals (variously called the Hill Slugs, the Insane Bike Posse, or the Usual Suspects, although with the people who come on my Sunday rides, that last one is losing definition) in almost a month due to weather or other commitments, and I hadn't been on ride ride led by Laura OLPH yet this year. So when she posted one for yesterday, and I was gonna be able to go, you can be sure I signed up. I ain't got so many friends that I can afford to let them slide.  

In her listing, she posted 45-50 miles, and offered extra miles from her house to the ride start. Rickety G and I took her up on that.


We rode to the start, and picked up the others; there were eight of us. Laura had set a route to Lambertville that included a number of the usual roads, but we didn't often do them on the way to Lambertville. There were also a few changes I found welcome.






We got to Lamberville, and stopped at Union Coffee. (Rojo's is apparently still closed.) I had mistakenly thought that Laura didn't like the place, but I'm wrong. Seating is not ideal, and the line is long sometimes, but the comestibles are good, and those who know something about coffee tell me the coffee is good. (As you may remember, I'm a Dunkin' Donuts coffee barbarian.)


Also, they don't hate us.


On the way back, two welcome changes: the first was a little detour that meant we did not have to cross 31 at Rocktown Road. I hate that crossing; it may be enough that I may make it a deciding factor if I'm going to choose to attend a ride again. On this ride, though, we rolled a little ways south to the crossing at Rocktown Hill Road. So much better! Visibility is much better, and it just feels safer. Some leaders resist doing it in the other direction because it requires going the wrong way on the Route 31 shoulder, but to me, the increased safety is worth the inconvenience. I had done it once before, crossing towards Lambertville, I believe on a pickup ride with Peter G, and I'm sold.

The other was taking the Harbourton road from 518 down to Pleasant Valley. It was trafficky, but it avoided a pair of hills that are often not welcome this late in a ride.

Catching our breath at the end prior to riding back to Laura's:




I had thought to do a ride today... but the rain predictions got increasingly dire as the week progressed, so I cancelled. As I look out the window, I'm glad I did.

Edit 4/4: I forgot to link to the ride pages. Here's the ride to the start, the Lambertville loop, and the ride back.

No comments:

Post a Comment