Tuesday, May 3, 2022

abroad 1

From April 12-24, The Excellent Wife (TEW) and I were on a trip to England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, for our 25th wedding anniversary (how on earth did THAT happen?). I've been resisting doing this post, because it's gonna be long, and because I have well over 2,000 pictures to cull.

When we landed in London on April 13, we went to see the Churchill War Headquarters (which was better than I expected, but I was so jetlagged that I forgot to get pictures). On the way, we passed the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace.



On the 14th, we took the London Ferry from Westminster to Greenwich.







On the 15th, we went to Kensington Palace in the morning.







From there, we took a bus (I am EXCESSIVELY PROUD of having managed the London bus, and we got to ride o the top of a double-decker!) to the Goring Hotel (a Michelin-rated restaurant) for lunch.


The onto a black London cab to the other hotel, from which our tour was due to leave. (I lost my cane in the cab, alas, but was able to get another, less excellent but more useful, the next day.)

The next day, to Stratford and the Birthplace:






... and then to York, where there was a street fair.




Below; atop the Roman wall in York. (Do Americans think we actually have history?)



April 17: a quick stop in Gretna Green. Apparently, in times gone by, the wedding requirements in Gretna were looser than elsewhere, and couples would head here for a quick wedding, now referred to as a blacksmith wedding (did blacksmiths perform them?). Well, we had to get the picture!


 Then to a steam train ride and boat ride along Lake Windermere. The boat ride was uneventful, but steam train!






 
OK, this post is too long; I'm splitting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment