Sunday, May 1, 2022

glad i didn't cancel this one

 The last time I looked at my registrants for today's ride, I had two. One later cancelled, and I was that close to cancelling... but when I got up this morning and looked; I had six. 

I had thought of cancelling, because when I planned this ride, I figured it would be one of those last-Sunday-of-the-month slower C+ rides. But The Excellent Wife (TEW) pointed out yesterday that it wasn't the last Sunday; today is the first of May. I thought the few takers were because of the C+ pace, but one of my Usual Suspects pointed out today is Mother's Day, and so folks might have had other plans and responsibilities. 

 Edit May 2: It's been pointed out that Mother's Day is next week. Duh.

(My own family, as I may have pointed out here [I've certainly made no secret of it elsewhere] is one about whom those depressing Scandinavian plays get written. I'm as much to blame as anyone; I'm not easy to get along with, but our family is not one you'll see in those Hallmark Special made-for-TV movies. That's probably why I forget about Mother's Day.)



As usual, I got riders at different levels of ability, but we stayed together (not hard, when there are only six of us... although I think some of 'em were afraid of getting cut off and left behind!). We did one of my usual routes for the C+ ride, and stopped at the Blawenburg Bistro, a favorite coffee stop for TEW and me. Some of my riders were kind enough to spend some money there, helping to ensure they stay open (TEW and I have a record for being the kiss of business-failure death for favorite coffee stops).

The riders were also kind enough to listen to my commercial about Ramblin' Wrench, my bringing-bicycle-maintenance-to-you venture. Far too polite, they were.

At the stop:







I had a great time, on a beautiful day, on a ride I had thought of cancelling. My intuitions are obviously not credible.

Ride page.

I got a few questions about why I wasn't riding or blogging over the past few weeks. The answer is that TEW and I did a twelve-day visit to England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales. Of COURSE  I got pictures... but I got over 2,000 of them, and I haven't been able to screw my courage up to culling all of 'em and making a blog post out of 'em yet. Maybe this week?

Don't bet the ranch on it.


3 comments:

  1. Can’t blame your family for forgetting Mother’s Day. . . at least today.

    You can blame them next week. Mother’s Day this year is May 8th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today isn't Mother's Day...it is next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you do any riding over in the British Isles? Did you try eating any haggis? It's a Scottish delicacy over there. Also, I heard "spotted d*ck" is a good dessert in England.

    ReplyDelete