Wednesday, February 17, 2021

bike jersey - first attempt


 


 My first attempt at a real jersey. It works well. The allowances for the seam widths are a little stingy, so I need to cut the next one a little more generously. And the t-shirt collar works, although this one is a bit too tight; I need to cut the neckhole on the front a little lower and adjust the size of the collar. There's a formula for that collar size.

The seams around the back pocket and the sleeve and bottom hems work well. I need to work on the elastic at the top of the pocket. And what you lose having only two pockets rather than three, you make up in the exceptional depth of the pocket.

That accent color was supposed to be a little less pink and a little more peach. Oh, well. 

(One stupid detail of which I am stupidly proud: the sections are all sewn with the matching color thread. For the bottom hem, I stopped the thread just at the color change, so the bottom hem is sewn on each section with the appropriate thread.)

Holy crap, but my bald spot is getting inescapable. The hole in my hair reminds me of the hole in the ozone.

Next project is another cross-back apron, different from the one I wrote about last month. I'm planning on sending it to my sister for the next gift-giving occasion after I finish it. It's got a single pocket in front, but I'm thinking up plans for hand pockets on each side; don't you think that would be better? It's kind of shapeless, so The Excellent Wife (TEW) isn't really interested. But I think it's a neat project.

Maybe after that, another try at a bike jersey. Competing fabric providers have different ideas of what teal is, and I may make one with the two colors of teal... or I may go with kelly green and off-white.

I'm having a lot of fun with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment