Sunday, May 23, 2021

a couple of days of overdoing it.

Yesterday, Tom H invited a few of us on a ride that started near Cocoluxe in Peapack.



43 miles, with 3600 feet of climb. It's the kind of ride I'm usually ready for at the end of June, not the middle of May. I was tired by the end of it! But I did pretty well, considering. Still, I was glad when it was done.

In addition to the demand, it was notable in that we passed a place reported to be the headwater of the Raritan. Laura OLPH stopped to get pictures.



It was a bit less memorable when we crossed a town line, and got to another place that was reported to be the headwater of the Raritan. WTF?

Also notable: Peter G's daughter Sarah, waiting up front there, is going back to the left coast after having sat out much of the pandemic at her parents' house. She came on a number of rides with us, and behaved like she enjoyed our company, and didn't show off how much younger and stronger she was than we. I was glad she came out with us, and I wish her the best.


After that ride, I was sure that today's ride would be a slow recovery. RideWithGPS says that I averaged 15.1, but I think they're overreporting.


I particularly wanted to do this route today, because the Thomas Sweet in Montgomery reported that their toilets would be open, a condition about which I've been asking for a year.




Some of the folks who are usually fast horses were surprisingly social today; perhaps the sudden warm temperatures got to 'em. I suspect they got to me; I was dizzy and exhausted after the ride; took a sudden nap, and woke up with a cramp.

There's probably a lesson I should take from that, but I'm avoiding deriving it. If it's obvious to you, be a good person and don't point it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment