Thursday, May 20, 2021

not goin' back

 I recently turned 66 years old. I'm planning to retire around Thanksgiving.

Because of the pandemic, I've been working from home for fourteen months. The Excellent Wife (TEW) and I were on vacation this week (there may be another post about that), and I got texts today at home from two of my coworkers that my employer has decided to extend the work-from-home program until at least December 31. 

I will never again work with all my coworkers in the office. If we hire new staff, I may need to train them... but I'll be alone with them, or with one other staff member.

I have mixed feelings. I'm glad not to lose the commuting time, not to have to pay for gas, not to have the wear-and-tear on the car. I get chores done around the house on my breaks.

But I'll never have the easy conversation with my coworkers. I'll never have the insight into their lives (or they into mine) that I used to take for granted. 

I don't have to dress up for work anymore... but I don't want to live in my pajamas either. I've taken to putting on a tie most days I'm working.

I'm grieving the loss of the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment