Thursday, May 6, 2021

hudson river ride

 Dave H led the Hudson River Ride on May 2 (go see the ride page here), and probably the most important part of this post is that I've posted my pics in a photo album at the PFW Photos & Albums page. (I broke my resolution to avoid Facebook by posting there that the album was up, but I consider that part of my duty as PFW WebGuy.)

On the ride, the head of one of the bolts on Laura OLPH's two-bolt seatpost sheared off, and after it became clear that the electrical tape she always carries was not going to solve the problem, somebody mentioned that we needed a replacement bolt. I remembered that the bolt that holds your steering tube cap on is pretty much just along for the ride, so I donated mine, and it happened to almost fit (it was the right diameter, but too short to be a long-term fix, although it worked well enough for a get-you-home solution).

Fellow riders made far too much of a fuss about my idea, to the point where the adulation was uncomfortable, and I'm afraid I said some things I regret now. Nonetheless, I've replaced the bolt with one a centimeter longer, just in case. It's the kind of thing that will almost certainly never happen again... but if it did, on a ride on which I was a participant, how could I hold my head up if the bolt were just that little bit too short, after having had the experience?

(Today is my 66th birthday, which I celebrated by having some extreme dental work, from which I may not have completely recovered. The previous paragraph suggests that I have not.)

No comments:

Post a Comment