Thursday, October 6, 2022

dfl

 


 So after it had rained for five days and five nights, I sent out a dove, which first returned with an oak tree branch (do you know how rare olive branches are in Central Jersey?) and then didn't return at all. I knew, therefore, that the waters had receded, and listed a low B ride for today out of Blackwells Mills (also, Jen needed a new chain installed, and this was a good opportunity to do it).

Dr Pete P, Dr Jen, Mark G, and Van G all came out (I thought there might be more because it was the first opportunity to ride after all that rain, but what do I know?). I didn't know Mark, but it turns out that he's a hanger-on for Dr Jen, and they're well-matched for cyclists... which means the slow spoke on this ride was gonna be me.



I gave 'em opportunities to ride ahead in hopes they'd burn off and let me catch up, which they did... but it was more politeness than exhaustion. We did a modification of one of my routes that stops at the Blawenburg Bistro.





Most of the gang were kind enough to spend cash and contribute to the "keep Jim & TEW's favorite coffee place open" fund, and then we took off for the way home. I was pretty spent, and was the last back to the start.

We still brought it in at 16.3mph average. I'm beat, but I'm impressed.

(That's far too fast for my Sunday rides. But with this group, the only person that was gonna be left behind was gonna be me [as, in fact, I was]. So lettin' 'em run was the right thing to do.)

If you want me today, I'll be napping and recuperating.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment