Tuesday, October 25, 2022

getting all bike-geeky about cleaniing chains, and spray cleaners generally


 That picture is an arrant fraud; I'd never use a spray-can cleaner. Pump-sprays are way more betterer.

As I noted in an earlier post, I started using paraffin as chain lube almost three years ago. The results are hard to believe: I've gotten over 4,000 miles on each of the chains I alternate for the process, and they still measure within the acceptable standard for continued use (I use cheap chains; I used to change them about every 1,000 miles; now I alternate the chains about every 500 miles or so). The process has the not-unpleasant side effect of providing a clean drivetrain; I can touch my chain, and bring my fingers away comparatively cleanly (and I like the look of the cleaner drivetrain).

Paraffin adheres nicely to the metal of the chain, but it doesn't like the dirt that invariably collects on it, so the chain-cleaning process is important. I described my initial process in the second blog post linked above. It's a multiple-day process (and, frankly, a PITA, with which most riders won't want to be bothered). On the advice of friend Eddie L, I got an ultrasonic cleaner some time ago, and he and I have been corresponding via text message about the best ways to clean chains.

I'll tell you one way that didn't work for me: I tried using a solution of Pedro's degreaser and hot water in the ultrasonic cleaner. When I put that chain in the wax, it was still so dirty that it ruined the batch of wax, which had to be discarded.  (It's not the fault of the Pedro's product; I've had great results generally with this degreaser.)

The process Eddie described to me is as follows: Soak chain in mineral spirits for a couple of hours, then put the jar with the mineral spirits and chain into the ultrasonic cleaner (you can re-use the water, and not have to clean the inside of the device, by floating the sealed jar with the solvent in the clean water in the ultrasonic cleaner). Put the chain in clean mineral spirits and agitate. Repeat until the mineral spirits are "pretty clean" (his words). Then soak in alcohol to get the last of the mineral spirits off. When dry, apply the paraffin.

He'd tried this after soaking a chain in mineral spirits for ten minutes and being amazed at the amount of black gunk that came off his (paraffin-lubed) chain.

Well, I thought of that ten-minute soak, and my experience with the Pedro's degreaser, and decided to try something different. Here's what I did:

  • Soak the chain in mineral spirits for about ten minutes, agitating lightly occasionally to ensure the mineral spirits goes all the way in.
  • Wipe the outside of the chain with a rag.
  • Put clean, hot water into the ultrasonic cleaner.
  • Put chain, hot water, and a generous dollop (maybe 2 tablespoons?) of the Pedro's degreaser into a sealable pint container. Seal the container.
  • Put the container with the solution and chain inside into the ultrasonic cleaner, and run for 30 minutes.
  • After the 30-minute session, remove and rinse the chain.
  • Repeat the previous three steps. After the second round with the degreaser solution, marvel at how clear the solution still appears.
  • Immerse the rinsed chain in alcohol, and hang to dry. 

Wow. That chain was CLEAN; I'm fairly sure I was down to bare metal. And the paraffin seems to confirm my suspicion; after the dip, the remaining paraffin is still clean.

The process takes a few hours, most of which is waiting, either for the ultrasonic cleaner to complete the session, or for the chain to air-dry.  

I'm likely to try a different degreaser; the Pedro's is expensive, and not as readily available as, for example, Zep Citrus degreaser. I'm not impressed with Simple Green as a degreaser; while it's certainly stronger than most spray-on cleaners, it's nowhere near as efficient as the Pedro's (and Simple Green sells a dedicated degreaser as well, implying that they know that the cleaner alone is not really up to the degreasing task). I used to be able to get a product called LA's Totally Awesome in the dollar stores, which I would put up against Simple Green for cleaning any day of the week. Alas, as is often the case with dollar-store products, the supply is gone, and I cannot find it any more. I mourn its disappearance.

I've been haunting the auto-parts stores looking for other degreaser products, on the theory that those engines get pretty grody, and need some heavy-duty solutions to clean 'em up, but my efforts have not, so far, borne fruit. On my last visit, I saw dozens of products for cleaning various minuscule parts of a car's interior, but nothing to suit my get-the-gunk-off desires.

I gotta get a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment