Thursday, October 27, 2022

pickup ride with some other old retired guys

 

I probably should have known that the Garmin device was going to give me more problems, after it reported an "incident to The Excellent Wife (TEW) last night when we were both in the house, and then, when this morning, it had decided to change its language to Finnish.

(How did I know that the gibberish onscreen was Finnish? I don't know. I'm grateful to Google Translate, though, because I was able to find the items for "Settings" [Asetukset] and "Language" [Kieli] so that I could change it back to something I could read.*)

(*I tell the joke frequently enough that some will groan to hear it: A person with two languages is bilingual, and a person with many languages is a polyglot, while the person with only one language is an American. I don't know why so many Americans ("Don't you know English? Speak that if you want to be here!") are so proud of being language-ignorant.)

(Was that last paragraph a rant? I guess it was. Rant off, I guess, Sorry.*)

(*Not really.)

Anyway, Peter G sent around an email to a number of us old, retired guys inviting us on a 35-mile, no-rest-stop-but-we'll-end-at-a-bagel-place-where-we-can-sit-and-swap-lies-for-a-bit ride. I decided to go on this one, and downloaded the route when he sent it around.

But the GPS didn't cooperate; I had to do a factory-reset along the way. It missed the first 10 miles or so of the ride, and the routing directions didn't work at all.

But it was a beautiful day, with pleasant people with whom to ride (Jack H and Martin G, along with Peter and me). There were enough hills to justify complaint, a wicked headwind for part of the way, blue sky and lovely leaves. 

Jack (above left) complained that I take too many pictures of him leaning on the bike, so see below.



Is that one above better, Jack?


We might do this again.

3 comments:

  1. I barely know English for I am an engineer! I also know many computer languages so I am also a polygloten-for-punishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... it's Neil (stupid Google has me as Anonymous).

      Delete
    2. Well said, Neil! (Stupid Google also keeps me anonymous for these comments, unless I log in through Chrome; no other browser will do it. Hmm...)

      Delete