Saturday, March 13, 2021

mostly harmless road ride

Tom H invited a few of his Insane Bike Posse out for  road ride for today. In that there were no closed roads, and we avoided the one bridge that was out along the planned route, it was uneventful (except in that there were no closed roads, and we avoided the one bridge that was out along the planned route).

 


 The sole event for me was that, as I was packing up the bike and paraphernalia to drive to the route. I noticed that a bubble had developed in a weak spot on the sidewall of the front tire of the Yellow Maserati, my titanium bike. I had a replacement tire, but I keep it in the cold garage... so I hustled to get it changed so I could get to the start in time.

The sipes on the tire are directional, so there is a direction that the tire is supposed to be mounted, and I got it backward in my haste. I noticed as I was putting the bike in the car, and didn't have time to change it again before I had to leave for the ride start. Now, almost nobody except a serious road biker would know what I was talking about, and almost none of even that small subset of humanity would bother looking at my tire to notice... but it irked me at various times throughout the entire ride.

When I got back, before I even went in the house, I remounted the tire in the correct orientation.


At the start at Mercer East:





Tom's route was mostly one he'd done a year or so ago, down through Allentown and Polhemustown, then up to Roy's for a stop.








Roy's is open, but the toilets are not. Below, ruminating on the answer to life, the universe, and everything.


Tom led us on a side trip to the Assunpink lake.



 

And from there we had an uneventful trip back to Mercer East. Ride page includes a few extra miles I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment