Sunday, March 28, 2021

sewing update


So there's the vest I was working on, fresh out of the laundry (linen; do NOT tumble-dry!). I did a good job on the construction, but I don't like the fit all that much... but I made the pattern myself, from a vest that kind of mooshes on, so I'm not too disappointed.

Linen gets a kind of drapey-hang after it's been worn a bit. I'm glad I chose linen. (And it's good for carrying the cell phone, so here's that, too.)

If you see me when I'm not wearing a jacket, there's a good chance you'll see the vest.

Latest cycle jersey:


 


The puckering around the neck is reduced when I wear it. I've fixed the problem of the waviness in the seams.

Knits are better done on a different kind of machine than the home sewing machine I have, but I'm not about to get one of those; it's less about the cost than about affording it the house room. There are attachments and stitch choices that can be utilized, and my skills are improving.

The fabric I used for this one is commonly used on less-expensive jerseys (my two club leader jerseys are made of it). It has the advantage of being cheap when bought in bulk, and available in a number of colors (although the commercial manufacturers usually just get white and sublimate-print the graphics), but it only stretches one way  (confusingly referred to as "two-way stretch", as opposed to the "four-way stretch" that allows stretch in every direction). If you check your jersey at home, it will probably have decent stretch crosswise, but very little at all up-and-down (from the shoulder to the hem, for example). It made putting the sleeves in very tough. I have enough left to make one of those raglan-sleeve jerseys (I might like that pattern better), but I doubt I'll get more of this stuff, when the four-way stretch stuff (like that green-and-white) is available.

I have an idea for a knee-length blazer (have I posted that already?), but I need more practice first.

No comments:

Post a Comment