Sunday, March 21, 2021

weekend rides march 20, 21

 Forgive me, but I'm just not inspired to write much. I had a good time on both rides, and I'm in better shape than I thought I'd be, but the writing just isn't flowing.

On Saturday, Laura OLPH took us on this 45-mile-or-so ride. (My ride shows 55 or so, but I did a few extra miles.) Memorable to me, but of no interest to anyone else, was a disagreement I had with one of her neighbors about where I'd parked; I've learned my lesson, and won't risk parking in that spot again.

Laura had six signed up, but one complained of being out of shape for the day; I hope he's OK.

 



The route was more-or-less that widdershins to Sergeantsville that is such an improvement on the way we used to go. We stopped at the eponymous Sergeantsville General Store.




The route was demanding: 2900 feet of climb over the distance. Perhaps as a reward, near the end, we were graced in the presence of this regal, haughty hawk.



He allowed us to act like paparazzi, then soared off to attend to more pressing matters. It was the only picture stop of the day.



Today, I led a ride out of Claremont School. I didn't get any pictures until the stop. I did one of my usual routes (the ride was about 40 miles; that page includes my to-and-from rides) at my usual not-quite-B pace, allowing the fast horses places where they could run out.

One of the fast horses got in front at an inopportune time and missed a turn; a well-meaning fellow went to chase; Dave H, acting as sweep, waited for them for a bit, but when Dave returned, we let the others go. I make a point of saying in my speeches that if you're off the front, you're on your own; I will add a speech about if others are off the front, you can call but don't chase; don't compound the error by forcing us to wait for more people... because I won't be willing to wait. 

We found a potty at the Lubas Park on 601, and stopped at Thomas Sweet. They still have the toilet closed, but the pizzeria next door has one available (I think).







We also stopped at the Montgomery Arboretum lot.



We're all back now. 

I'll try to be more entertaining next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment