Sunday, December 12, 2021

mutiny ride

 

Well, when there are only two club rides listed on a sunny (albeit windy) Sunday, I suppose I can't be surprised that I had seventeen registrants at the start. Some were new to me, and they brought a range of abilities from "just about able to keep up" to "holy bananas, but that character is fast; what on earth are they doing here?"









Laura OLPH had contacted me about having a glass sale; she'd made a number of globes and ornaments which she was selling at holiday-sale prices, with proceeds to benefit the Trenton Bike Exchange. Like, I was really gonna say no to Laura about that?


She later contacted me ans said they'd nearly cleaned her out. Laura may not be impressed with her own glassblowing abilities, but everybody else sure seems to be. (I also gave Laura another long-sleeve jersey I'd sewn up for her.)

My plan for the ride was to try one of my regular routes, but to see if I can find an alternative to Homestead Road. Homestead has a number of annoying hills, and I wondered if we could avoid that by going up the one nasty hill on Amwell Road; today I tested the hypothesis. Results were mixed: this one didn't like the increased traffic, that one thought this hill was less miserable, the other thought that Homestead was less demanding. I was hoping for a conclusive decision; I didn't get one. Alas.

We continued along to Thomas Sweet for the stop.






I got to talking to Bolong about bike maintenance... and the next thing I know, the rest of the ride is leaving without me, because I'm taking too long! Wait, what? Whose ride is this, anyway?

I guess there's a certain amount of anarchy in the club, or something.

We caught up to the rest of the ride when they were waiting to gather at one of the turns. As large rides tend to do, we broke into a faster and slower group; I stayed with the slower folks (even though both Dave H and Ricky G were sweeping). And we got back with everybody with whom we'd left!

Ride page.

No comments:

Post a Comment