Thursday, December 16, 2021

plastic bikes

I've been slandering carbon fiber for bikes and components for years, complaining that it was too expensive, didn't have a long lifespan, and generally wasn't worth the money. I've been calling 'em "plastic bikes".

But a few days ago, a customer picked up a lovely candy-apple red number from service at the shop where I'm working now. It turned my head.

Then I got a chance to work on one for a fellow club member. Nice ride.

OK. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe I like the look, and especially feel, of carbon fiber frames. And bars. And maybe cranks.

The lifespan is still a problem, though.

(Above, the Van Dessel Motivus Maximus, sold at the shop where I work. Nice ride. Not pretty enough to get my attention, and I'm not going to research the pretty bikes that DO get my attention, because the consequences might be unsatisfactory.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment