Friday, December 3, 2021

ups and downs...

 I interviewed for a part-time gig at Sourland Cycles early in the week, and was dismayed to hear that I would not be considered for a mechanic job, although they did want to consider me for store help. My disappointment colored the interview, and many of the succeeding hours... and it became clear to me that, while I know what I know, there's a lot that I don't. 

It would not be fair, either to any shop where I would work, or to any customer on whose bike I was working with technology with which I am unfamiliar, to take a job as a mechanic. And while I have a lot of bike knowledge, it's not the knowledge that is useful in a retail environment.

Armed with that new realization and acceptance, I did a second interview yesterday, and apparently aced it. That interview was done by two other staff, and when they reported to the principal (who had done the first interview), he was not sure they were talking about the same person. I'm just off a call with him; he texted earlier today that I got the job, and on this call, we were  conversing like old pals. We're up to talking about start dates and manuals.

But then there's other stuff. Late yesterday, The Excellent Wife (TEW) was sent home from her job because a coworker with whom she's had some contact had a positive COVID-19 test. She does not think she is infected, and, based on the way she describes her contact with the coworker in question, I don't think she is either; nor do I think I am. She was directed to go for a test on Tuesday or after to verify her status; she has made arrangements for a test for Tuesday morning. If her result is positive, I will get tested myself.

We had intended to go to the Freewheeler Holiday Party, but decided that, even though we are both double-vaccinated and booster-shot, we would cancel. I'm really disappointed; there are some people going who are either new friends, or trending in that direction, and I had hoped to see them. Two of them, Albert P and Luis C, gave me a bike-print bow-tie for my retirement, and I wanted to express my gratitude by wearing it to the event, where they would see it. I will fall back on the pre-internet practice of a thank-you card.

Reaction from folks I've told about the possible exposure has been mixed, from "Come on out; we know how to be safe," to "You have a duty to cancel all engagements." I am trying to strike a reasonable middle way. I will doubtless upset people on both sides of the argument. I have withdrawn from Tom H's ride, scheduled for tomorrow. I am still planning to lead my Sunday ride. I have emailed all the current registrants with information about the situation and updated the listing for anybody who might register between now and the time we depart. I have had one cancellation, one rider replied to say he would stay back, one said "Thanks for the heads up. This thing isn't going away!  I'll see you Sunday."

Well, I hope to see you, whether Sunday or thereafter.

1 comment:

  1. Jim, congrats on the new job! You may have set a record for folks I know that retired and went back to work. What was that a couple days? Look forward to sweeping for you Sunday.

    ReplyDelete