Sunday, February 13, 2022

cleaning the chain

 I've had some interest recently in my practice of waxing my chain instead of using more common (and, admittedly, convenient). Blog post is linked in the previous sentence.

I've changed the cleaning procedure since, after re-reviewing the video from which I got the procedure (and got it wrong, apparently). The link goes directly to the part of the video where he explains the procedure.

He's an Aussie, which means at least two things: 

  • He's completely bonkers, and
  • He refers to things using local Australian words, which might not be the same as the terms we 'Muricans use.

He uses "petrol" (gasoline) for his first step, which I'm not gonna do; I'm not gonna keep gas in the garage. I find mineral spirits to be just as effective for an initial clean, and, while it's not without its dangers, it's far safer than gas. Like him, I use a removable link*, and remove the chain from the bike. Put the chain in a plastic container, add enough mineral spirits to cover, and leave overnight.

*Most of the removable links are labelled "one use only". I suspect they're better-engineered than that, but why risk it, when you can get the Wipperman link, which is advertised for repeated use?

The next day, make up a solution of hot water and degreaser (I use this one). Put a squeeze of degreaser in the plastic container, add hot water to mostly fill (you'll get suds, which is important), put in the chain, swish around. The solution will get unbelievably mucky, and the suds will disappear, as the degreaser holds the gunk in solution. Rinse thoroughly (clean out the sink so your less-bikey spouse doesn't complain about the wretched condition of the sink). Repeat three or four times, until (ideally) you actually have some suds left at the end of the procedure.

Then, to make sure you've got all the water out, put the chain in a plastic container and cover with denatured alcohol (which is what His Aussiness means when he says "methylated spirits"). Swish around, remove the chain, and hang up to dry overnight.

Yes, we're now on day three.

But at this point, the chain is pretty much down to bare metal, to which the paraffin will adhere nicely. Now you can retrieve the chain and add lube. Using this cleaning procedure and the paraffin lube, I've gotten over 7,000 miles on the two chains I alternate on the bike (so, 3,500 miles each), and the chains are still within the .050% chain stretch specification (using this gauge to verify).

Product links go to Universal Cycles. I don't make any money from them, but they have a reasonably comprehensive selection, and they've treated me very well on repeated orders.

No comments:

Post a Comment