Thursday, February 24, 2022

on a fine spring day in february

 

So when it's gonna be almost 70°F in February, and you're not working, you pretty much have to do something with the day.

Even though the start is a gazillion miles from my house, I decided to tag along on Joe M's "Team Social Security" ride, out of Northern Community Park in either Trenton or Bordentown, depending on whose map you're gonna believe.





As Al's ride did on Monday, this ride broke into a faster and a slower group (Ralph S-J, Jen O, and Peter F were among the fast folks; they allowed me to pretend I could keep up). I think this might be a more sensible idea than trying to keep a group together when there are riders of such disparate abilities, and nobody among the TSS people seems to complain or have a problem with it. I'm likely gonna try it on my Sunday rides; I'll make sure nobody is dropped (along with the capable help I can usually count on from the excellent Dave H), and we'll let the speedsters go off the front.

Joe had planned a route of 30+ miles, with the stop in Columbus at about mile 21. I'm not sure if he planned this, but, starting at about mile 9, we had a headwind... and every time we made a turn from there to the stop, we wound up turning into the wind. I was able to use almost all of my extensive vocabulary of expletives and abuse.

Recovering in Columbus:






 Above, Joe's new bike. Joe has an eye for bike excellence, and even on this more-or-less stock Cannondale, he's attached the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive (a gorgeous pump, which, despite the name, is designed to be carried on the bike), and a Gilles Berthoud leather saddle from Rene Herse.

There are more important considerations than weight.

As for me, I did well for an old guy on this ride, according to the ride page.

No comments:

Post a Comment