Wednesday, March 16, 2022

metric with eric, and riding my age


 Eric H took the week off, and invited me to do a metric with him today. We asked if a few others could come along, but most folks are working, and some had other commitments, or simple bad luck.

Eric's route was a modification of the 100km route from the Tour de Franklin; he set it so the start more convenient, and cut out a few of the more confusing instructions.

It's early in the season for me to do a ride that long, although our average was pretty good (we got slower - like, a lot - as the ride progressed). But both of us were still upright, and able to form coherent sentences, by the time we split to ride to our respective homes.

And it was a gorgeous day.

I was rolling back from a potty stop, and heard someone hail me by name - it was John W, apparently knocking off early for the day and going for a ride himself!

There's a "thing" in the club about riding your age in miles close to your birthday, and those of us with birthdays in the spring suffer a bit for it. Nonetheless, between the ride to the ride, the ride itself, and the ride home, I've made it for my 67th birthday - and almost two months early.

I intend to be insufferable about it.

1 comment: