Sunday, March 27, 2022

ride on a windy day


 I posted a C+ ride for today; I plan to get back to the practice of slower rides on the last Sunday of the month. I think it's a good idea; I get to see some folks that haven't been coming out, and some of my Usual Suspects came out even though it was a slower-paced ride.








We did a 30-ish mile route that included a stop at the Blawenburg Bistro, a coffee spot that's become a favorite for me and The Excellent Wife (TEW). We two don't have a great record with coffee spots; both of our last two favorites have closed... one transmogrified into a PJ's Pancakes location, and the other one disappeared, to be reborn as a fitness place. So I'm grateful to all the riders who spent money at the Bistro.

On the way there, though, we had a spot of wind. We fought a headwind all the way out, and I found it especially noticeable on the bit of Skillman Road before we took the turn onto Hollow (one of the riders said that it wasn't as bad as he had expected, but I think he was being either polite or disingenuous). Another rider complimented me for setting a route that had us going into the wind on the first part of the ride, to enjoy a tailwind on the way back. I'm not always too bright, but I knew enough to keep my mouth shut when I figured out he was complimenting me and giving me credit for what was actually a dumb-luck decision.

At the Bistro:





We met with two other cyclists on the way back, who rode with us for a while; they called out traffic clearance ahead at one point, and we got to chatting a bit. When I called, "Jim's ride: left turn!", one of them asked one of my riders if I was Plain Jim, and on finding that I was, he rolled up to let me know he read this blog and follows me on Facebook.

What? I have a follower? I am SO flattered!

Ride page.

In other news, a number of riders were most encouraging about Ramblin' Wrench, my "bicycle maintenance comes to you" business. I hope so... although none of 'em has gone so far as to make an appointment yet! (Not like I have time right now; I'm finishing up work on about a dozen bikes from leads I got from my first announcement!)

No comments:

Post a Comment