Saturday, March 5, 2022

unusual for the usual

 

Tom H, who knows something about riding bikes in New Jersey, scheduled a club ride for today out of Bordentown.



Above, that's Kyle, whose last name I didn't get. He's not a member; this was his trial ride. I was relentless about plugging the club. I hope I didn't drive him off!






It was gonna be warm enough (and flat enough) that a few of us thought it was gonna be a good idea. 40-45ish miles, not a lotta climbing (Burlington County has the topography of typing paper), some prettiness in Roebling, Bordentown, Burlington City.




Now: One (or maybe more) of the things on which you can usually depend on a ride that Tom leads is a road under construction, or a closed bridge, or both. And while he did lead us along a park path between Old York Road and Roebling, that didn't seem to be enough; nor did the short stint in the park at which the pictures above were taken. We were about 60% through the route, and I was wondering where the weird stuff was, when we pulled in for a planned stop at the Jacksonville Deli.

It was dark. And closed.

We quickly adjusted plans to stop at a deli in Columbus... but more important to me is that my faith in Tom was restored, because a closed rest stop definitely trumps a closed road or closed bridge on a ride like this.

In Columbus:





Ride page.

No comments:

Post a Comment