Wednesday, December 14, 2022

barnegat branch recon ride


Tom H invited me (and some others in his Insane Bike Posse) on a ride to check out the Barnegat Branch Trail, a rails-to-trails path in Ocean County. It was about 11 miles of path, packed gravel surface. I took the Krakow Monster, my monstercross bike, and met Tom at his house, and we loaded up his truck for the ride to the start.

I was cosmically disorganized this morning: couldn't find my computers, and then had way too little inflation in the tires for the surface, the distance, and the wind. I was only about fifteen minutes early getting to Tom's house (people who know me, know that this is next door to being late for me).

The trail has pretty sections, and sections that are, frankly, not pretty at all; part of it tracks Route 9 (not like the Route 9 in Monmouth County, but hardly bucolic either). We also found a gap in the trail between about mile three and mile five that we had to get around (on the way back, we found a real-estate tour that was better than the main roads we followed on the way out).

At the bottom of the trail, we headed over to the bay to get some pictures.




... and got a face full of headwind as we headed back inland to pick up the trail again.

The trail crosses both forks of the Forked River. The northerly one is pretty.



Good ride for a cold day. I'm tired from the low tires and the wind. But it was a good ride on a cold day.

Ride page.

No comments:

Post a Comment