Tuesday, December 6, 2022

cranky old man

 I don't know if everybody has topics on which they get irrationally angry, but I do. One of them, I've just realized, is insurance.

On the Princeton FreeWheeler board meeting last night, a board member pointed out that members may not be aware of one of the coverages provided by the club's insuror. I maintained that we should not make members generally aware of it, on the theory that there will be members who will abuse it. My position was that we should let people know about the coverage when they are likely to need it, when a situation has arisen when it is likely to be accessed.I'm afraid I pounded the virtual table at this online meeting.

In my defense, first, I know of clubs like ours who have disbanded because the cost of insurance became unsustainable, and I know of a situation where a member has inquired into the club's insurance coverage to apply to a situation which was clearly his sole fault.

But it's also true that I've given out information about our insurance that was not true. And I am suspicious of the motives of some of our members who seek coverage under the club's insurance. (I am generally suspicious that people do not use insurance responsibly.) Some of that suspicion might be unwarranted.

I need to watch myself, both on the topic of insurance, and on cranky anger generally.

No comments:

Post a Comment