Saturday, December 17, 2022

cold, hills, and dumb jokes

 

We have the incontrovertible evidence of experience that there are ten members of the Princeton FreeWheelers who are willing to go out on a hilly ride, on a day that started at about 35°F (and probably didn't get ten degrees warmer for the duration of the ride). AND several of them were able to be reasonably cheerful about it, if the terrible jokes we shared around are evidence at all.


You can't see the excellent green holly hairband that Heddy is rockin' in that one; the blow-up below is a bit better:


Pat B had sleighbells below the bow on her seatbag. A few times, I thought somebody's bike was about to fall apart, listening to them jingle as we rode. Below, she is so staid and quiet.




Laura wasted little time in putting us on the hills: up Province Line and Hopewell-Amwell (you can see from the ride page that she had us climbing before mile 3). And, of course:


Somewhere along the way, we came upon sheep in a field:




Pat made the obligatory "This is baaa-aaad" joke around the sheep. And then there were goats:


We proceeded to Luminary Coffee, which has occupied the space once filled by the Rojo's Lambertville location:




I liked it. There was plenty of room for us to sit down (and warm up), and the staff was welcoming, even to a cranky old man like me.

And back. On the way back, it was pointed out to me that Jim V, who was on the ride, had introduced himself to someone as, "I'm the quiet Jim". I laughed out loud when I heard it; I think we need to refer to Jim V as "Quiet Jim" from now on. It's descriptive, and (when he's compared to me) true. 

Tomorrow is supposed to be even colder; I've got a short, no-scheduled-rest-stop ride planned. I haven't many takers as I write this; we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment