Friday, December 30, 2022

last ride of the year

 

Today was predicted to be sunny, with highs in the 50's. Tom H decided this would be a good day for a not-too-hilly 40+ miles between Mercer Park and New Egypt, and he was right.

The emails went around to the Insane Bike Posse, and seven of us decided to go out. It started cold, but we knew that the day would warm up, and there was some discussion about the proper clothing for a day like this... and then there was discussion of the proper way to refer to it. "Outfit"? "Suit"? We decided "kit" was the proper appellation. Let it not be said that the Insane Bike Posse is inexact in cycling terminology.

Tom's route was mostly flat in the first half (see the ride page). Our pace allows for conversation, and it was good to talk to the other riders... especially Ricky, who hasn't ridden much after a mishap earlier this year*.

*I'm a person in recovery from substance abuse (holy bananas; that post was ten years ago), and I've more recently posted about my mental health problems. Sometimes, in order to keep going, I have to do goofy stuff because it works. I've recently started a project of writing down each day a few things I'm grateful for, and one of those things today was that Ricky was coming out on the ride. There's a saying that if its dumb, but it works, then it's not dumb... but I still feel goofy about the gratitude list thing. But I can't deny it's been beneficial.

 




We stopped in New Egypt. The luncheonette there no longer allows us to use the toilet, and the Wawa doesn't have one... so when we passed one in a local park, we screeched to our various halts so that those of us who needed could enjoy its hospitality. Ahem.

On the way back, Tom put in Hill road "the easy way" (it was tough enough for all practical purposes), and somebody was having this erected in their front yard:


The concrete rearing horse is currently supported on blocks. I suspect there's a piling that goes down beneath, because the concrete rear legs alone won't support it (and nothing might be enough to support it in adverse weather). It's certainly dramatic and arresting.

It's also a sign that someone has too much money.

We proceeded to Walnford, where...


... because of course there was.



I'm carrying a bit more holiday weight than I wish I were. I'm trying to manage that, and I think I didn't eat enough today, because a bonk threatened in the last five-or-so miles. Ricky was kind enough to give me a pull for much of that distance. It was good to ride with him again (as it was good to ride with the whole group today).

I've posted a club ride for New Year's Day. None of my favorite stops are open, so it will be a no-planned-rest-stop ride, and at a slower pace than past rides (part of an experiment). We'll see how that goes. As for you, I wish you a happy new year, with peace and prosperity, and a little fun every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment