Friday, September 24, 2021

more of my racism

 I've been listening daily to Make Me Smart with Kai & Molly. They have a feature where listeners can leave a voice message in answer to the question, "What's something you thought you knew, but later found out you were wrong about?"

I called in with this one last week

This is Jim from Central Jersey. I'm a cisgendered white male, about to retire in a couple months, and one thing I thought I knew was how far down my racism and misogyny went, and I thought I had a handle on it. But the Youtube algorithm decided to send me some Tiktoks and such about feminism and antiracism, and holy cow. Stuff I thought was inconsequential, or polite, I now see how intrusive and thoughtless I was. And I can't even always go and apologize; it's not fair to use my white-guy protections to make myself feel better, at the risk of dragging up and replaying misery for someone else. The best I can do is live with my past, and do better. Thanks for making me smart.

They didn't use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment