Saturday, September 11, 2021

sourland spectacular 2021

 

I was sure I had committed last week to doing the Sourland Spectacular... but after Tom H posted a club ride, I figured that it probably wasn't with any regular Hill Slugs or members of the Insane Bike Posse. So I reached out to Albert P and MingShun L, and it turned out I had discussed it with each, but not committed... but then it sounded like such a good idea (after, like, only two exchanges of emails) that I decided to go along.

We agreed to the metric century route, and to meet at 8:00 am.






All manner of bikes were there!




Above, a contingent from Bristol-Myers-Squibb. Ming is doing part of a coast-to-coast ride for them (that has already started; another Freewheeler has already flown off to do her routes).

Above, the line for the two (!) porta-potties.

It was a great day. I was SURE that the other two would be dragging me along (one is young enough that I had already started to have a drug problem at the time they were born, and the other is young enough that I was already in recovery when they were teething), but whether I'm stronger than I think, or whether they were incredibly polite (and I'll happily believe it was the latter), we stayed together throughout the course (go see the ride page at this link).

Still, it was demanding, and despite the glorious day, I didn't get pictures along the route. I did get some at the stops - the first:





Above, an ingenious device for filling your water bottle from a hose, with a pedal lever!

At the second stop:











They had separate bins for compost (largely banana skins), recycling, and trash. I'm still impressed.

At the end, for lunch (I remember the soundtrack was all songs that were hits when I was in high school; Albert said he grew up with that music):







Above, Ming checks in with the Bristol-Myers-Squibb riders.

My thanks to my team:

,


No comments:

Post a Comment