Sunday, August 7, 2022

more like what i had in mind


 So after thinking about what I wanted to do about pace on my rides (because the pace has not been creeping up, it's been galloping), I posted this verbiage in the description:

Faster riders are welcome to go off the front; you can either wait at turns or not. I intend to ride within the stated pace range. Nobody dropped. This might work as a recovery or training ride. Let's see how this works.

I wound up with six: Jin A (new to me), Rickety, Eric H, Laura OLPH, John O (also new to me), and John W. 





 Eric contacted me during the week about a mechanical weirdness on his bike, so I brought the stand and tools. When Jin arrived, she had a brake bind, that turned out to be easily fixed; we popped her bike on the stand to make sure the fix would hold. When Eric came, it turned out his issue was not so easily managed - we'll make an appointment for some attention to his bike. (Ramblin' Wrench, to the rescue...)

We went on one of my regular routes (Laura's least favorite of them, and I'm not at all surprised).





Despite awful humidity, and some serious winds (and how can we have both wind and humidity?), we had a good ride; both of the new-to-me folks enjoyed it. We stopped at Thomas Sweet.



Laura warned us about getting too acclimated to the air-conditioning, but I'm not sorry for even one second that I spent inside!

Most important to me, we brought the ride in as the Low B that I intended: the ride page shows 15.3mph average.

Part of the success, I'm sure, is having a group who were interested in keeping to the pace. I'm eager to see how I do at maintaining this. As noted in the description, I intend this to be a recovery ride, or training for those who want to try the B pace. I'm glad I could keep to that today.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pics!! I loved this ride! Thank you Jim!!

    ReplyDelete