Friday, August 26, 2022

tew gets cider donuts

 

The Excellent Wife (TEW) took off this week from work, and has been enjoying herself immensely, including going paddleboarding for the first time. Today, she wanted to go on the Friday Team Social Security C ride, so I agreed to go on the C+ ride and bring her to the park. 

She was more than a bit put out that Eddie L had scheduled OUR stop at Battleview Orchards, where cider donuts would be available, while her stop would have no such offering. TEW has a thing for cider donuts, which I do not share, but de gustibus non est disputandum.

We enjoy seeing the folks at the start. They're always delighted to see her, and she enjoys the attention (mostly...).








Eddie's route (which he inherited from Al P, I'm led to believe) went over roads with which I am largely unfamiliar, but they felt as minimally dangerous as is possible for such a destination; I've been to Battleview Orchards a few times, and I'm fairly sure I remember being a lot more terrified on those rides. You can see the route on the ride page. (HAH! And we actually brought it in at a C+ pace!)






 While there, I bought a half-dozen of the cider donuts, managed to get rid of three (not by eating all of them myself!), and wrapped up the other three in the plastic bag and stuffed 'em in my pocket (I was wearing a home-made jersey with really deep pockets). On my return (with the last of the C+ group; I was a slowspoke today), I found TEW among a circle of the C group and the faster C+ riders, apparently having a great time. I presented the donuts to TEW. The response, even as I am typing this several hours later, was as I'd hoped: I have a certain amount of "good husband" cred out of it.

(I was sure "cred" was going to be flagged as misspelled by the spell checker, but it's not. I'm hopelessly out-of-touch.)

One bike-y mechanic-y note: one of our number had a flat, and in replacing it, inadvertently broke the wire on his Di2 rear derailleur, and had to ride home with only the front derailleur able to shift. While this is a rare occurrence, it is not making electronic shifting more attractive to me. My cheap Sensah Empire mechanical set, however, now has well over 100 miles on it, and is behaving nicely.

1 comment:

  1. Woah! IMnot-soHO -Federal Rd between English and Perrineville Rds is a very bad choice! People now drive that doing 60 mph (35s the limit). Cops have been putting up radar to get that fixed but the narrowness (guard rails) makes it a bad choice when traffic builds up. Granted you may have been riding during off hours in August but that's a bad choice.

    ReplyDelete