Saturday, January 14, 2023

a good walk, unspoiled

 

It's an old quote that golf is a good walk spoiled. The quote is old enough that it's the title of at least two books, and that it's been falsely attributed to Mark Twain. So if golf is a good walk spoiled, I decided that a hike around the golf course at Tom H's over-55 community, at which there would be neither golf nor golfers, is a good walk unspoiled.





Tom decided it was cold enough today not to call for a ride, and suggested the hike around the golf course, which is closed for the winter. He said it would be five miles; The Excellent Wife (TEW) insists it's more like six, and I have not enough information (or interest) to take sides. I've had years of ongoing back pain that affects me on long walks, but with one of my collection of canes, I gimped along just as if I were as able as any of the rest.

Tom invited members of his Insane Bike Posse and our spouses (which I think was a factor in the large number of us agreeing to attend), as well as one of his neighbors at the community. The course is a pleasant, not-demanding walk, and there are breaks at the clubhouse at a few points so that plumbing and central heating could be utilized (and yes, it was cold enough that your correspondent was grateful for the latter).

After, Tom popped for pizza at his house; TEW and I brought some non-alcoholic bubbly that had been purchased for a holiday dinner and went unused. If you're not gonna ride a bike, this is a pleasant enough way to get together and get some exercise... but a bike is still better, if only because you get to sit down.

No comments:

Post a Comment