Saturday, January 21, 2023

it felt colder as the day went on

 

Laura OLPH posted a club ride for today, starting from Skillman Park, the grounds of the old Epileptic Village. This start location is closer to my house than most of the other club starts (so it assuages my climate-change guilt about driving to a ride start, even though I do so in my Prius). 





We looked at the combination of clouds and blue sky, and hoped for warming as the day went on. Laura took care of our chill quickly, though, by leading us right off the bat on a demanding, multi-mile climb up Fairview, Pin Oak, and Long Hill Road, and by the time we'd done that, we weren't complaining of cold (most of us didn't have breath enough to do much complaining at all...)


 We couldn't tell if there had been any progress on the bridge to Zion-Wertsville. It doesn't show well in the picture, but there's rebar visible at the close end of the bridge that hasn't rusted, and the support lumber for the arch is fresh... but us that second arch new construction? I don't know if that was there before (and I'm not gonna look for my earlier photo now).

Anyway, the rest of the ride had a much more sensible elevation profile, as you can see from the ride page.

We stopped at a Wawa near Three Bridges.




I also noticed this place across from the Wawa, and wondered if that might make a stop:


...but a quick web search suggests they're more boutique-grocery than rest stop.

Before we rode out, the skies were more grey and cloudy, with no perceptible blue (Rickety thought he saw blue off to the right at the horizon, but I think it was hope adding some azure to his vision). I'm pretty sure it was colder (and perceptibly damper) on the second part of the ride (although perhaps it was just the lack of that demanding uphill in the first part).

Laura pointed out these noticeable tights, and thought pictures might be in order. She usually avoids pictures, so I was happy to oblige:




Rider Bob L thought squares on the right leg and circles on the left, but I'm holding out for bubbles on the left leg and checkerboard on the right. They're available from Running Funky. I see they have a whole selection of half-and-half, each-leg-is-a-different-pattern tights, and you can also bespeak your own combinations. I'm sure I'm far too square to ever be allowed to buy such things, but you may want to take a look, if standard black tights are too staid for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment