Sunday, January 22, 2023

so many riders on a cold day

 

Laura OLPH displays her gaily-decorated left leg while standing on her staid black right one (another product from Running Funky), as Ralph tries to hide behind Dr Z.

I didn't list this ride until late Thursday, because the earlier weather prediction was for rain to start just as we were struggling up that annoying hill on East Mountain Avenue, at the furthest point of the ride. But by the time I listed my now-usual Sunday C+ club ride, the local rain god had decided to move the rain commencement to later today.

I didn't get many takers at first, but as yesterday evening, and then this morning rolled around, registrations started coming in until at one point I had thirteen! But one rider discovered he'd left shoes home (the soft-soled slippers in which he'd driven to the start were NOT gonna work), so we wound up with twelve. Twelve! On such a raw, cold, sunless day!

Friend Eric H suggested a ride over a sightly longer route, at a faster B pace (thinking that we might even meet at the stop, given the comparative distances and paces), but didn't get takers, so he joined us. (Some could definitely have done the B pace; I was surprised that they all chose this ride at this pace.) Rama K even took me up on my offer to have riders meet us along the route.







I really liked this ride. I'd shortened the route because the week before, we'd run into traffic at the end, and it was suggested that was because of the late (10am) start and the slower pace (I managed that for myself by stretching my two-mile ride-in to seven miles). There was less traffic, and none of the riders complained about the abbreviated distance (see the results on the ride page).

Riders were better than I'd expected about keeping to the pace (we mostly stayed together; we broke into faster and slower groups on some occasions, but people I expected to be fast were largely staying with the group, and riders I expected to be slower were often in the middle of the peloton).

We stopped at Thomas Sweet in Montgomery, and took over the inside.




We got riding again before we got too comfortable (it was tough getting started again!), and did the ten-miles-or-so back to the start. The folks who'd ridden in (Rama, Dr A, Eric) rolled off home as it was convenient. 

I know that, as the weather improves and more rides are listed, many of these folks will go sign up for other rides. Others; who have been hibernating, will come out as the weather becomes more suited to their habits and riding clothes. Today I was happy to lead, not just so many riders, but this particular group.

1 comment:

  1. Jim, thank you for leading this group ride.

    ReplyDelete