Sunday, January 1, 2023

new years resolution ride

 


So I made all of the fat-shaming, ableist, pretty-privilege resolutions that I'm not gonna tell youse about, but I made one more: that I was going to lead Club rides at a pace that I could do, and that I, and people I ride with, could enjoy. The Club's "B pace" is 15.0-16.9mph (average; cruising speeds on the flats, and especially descents, can be faster), and that's the pace I've been listing my rides. I could sometimes keep that pace, but sometimes I could not, and even when I could, I wasn't really having fun.

So for this ride, I posted a "C+ pace", 14.0-15.9mph. I got a number of registrants, some of whom were clearly able to maintain a faster pace, and some for whom the C+ pace was a better fit.

One of my registrants was Tony G of the beautiful bikes, who, last year, had had such a mishap on the descent on Dead Tree Road that he was hospitalized. I understand he's just gotten back to riding (I'd seen him registered for some other rides, but I don't think he's been out). I was delighted to see him.






 I'd checked for holiday opening schedules at my usual stops... and NONE of them appeared to be open on this New Year's day. So I posted a 29-mile, no-planned-rest-stop route (the kind of thing I do if the weather will be too cold for a stop). Instead of cold, though, we had mid-50's for temperatures (although the wind, later in the ride, did elicit a complaint).

We had, as I mentioned, a range of abilities on this ride, and some rode ahead, but the main part of the group stayed together. I'd posted the route in advance, and a number of the riders had it on their devices, but the few that went ahead waited at turns for the rest to catch up. There was only one place where we got separated (I changed the route, not to confound the rider in front, but to save some traffic), and we got back together shortly thereafter.

I make a practice of telling riders that they can join along the route, and three of them - Laura OLPH, Rama, and Madhu - decided to do so. Rama told me he'd noted it on the comments section under the "Emergency Contact" question when he registered (and he had), but I didn't pay attention and missed it (gotta look ANOTHER place for info now!). Madhu registered after I'd printed my copy of the list, and was a bit late on the road... but caught up with us anyway. She's complaining that she's slowing down, but after her catching up with us on the route, I'm not sure her protestations bear credibility.



But perhaps the most memorable moment for me: at Dead Tree Road, where Tony had had his incident, I stopped at the bottom, off the road, because I wanted to see Tony go through. At the bridge, he slowed to a stop, kissed his fingertips, and then placed them on the bridge wall, an obvious homage to the god of the bridge for letting him pass. It was my favorite moment of the ride; I wish I'd gotten video.


Above: Ricky swept for this ride. I haven't seen enough of him on a bike recently; I'm very glad he came out today.

So this pace definitely worked for me. And for the time being, the C+ rides are what I plan to do. We'll see if I feel differently later in the season, when I may be stronger, but for now, this resolution is working. I had a great time. Thanks to all who came out.


No comments:

Post a Comment