Saturday, October 23, 2010

Cold ride!

There's a Princeton Freewheelers ride on Monday and Wednesday mornings out of Etra Park in Hightstown (mostly the same group, of mostly retired guys, goes out of Byron Johnson Park in Allentown on Wednesdays). I was off yesterday (had to move my every-other-Wednesday off when it conflicted with a work regional meeting), and rode with 'em.

We left in about 50º F (c-c-c-cold) and a healthy wind (there were eight of us, including one woman, on this ride that has had almost twenty riders in the warmer weather). The ride was short; the leader had to add a few miles to his planned route to make sure we got up over 30 for the day.

One key to staying warm seems to be layers. Another is covering up; my fingertips were cold in my fingerless gloves, and most of the riders had thin, but full-finger gloves (and I do have tights for this weather). I need to decide if I'm gonna pop for the under-the-helmet headwarmer and booties to keep the cold wind off my toes - the shoes are ventilated, which makes sense at 95º, but less sense at 45º.

No comments:

Post a Comment