Friday, July 8, 2011

ecce quam bonum...

I don't know if this one requires this setup or not, but back when I was in the seminary, I took some Latin. It's stood me well, not only because it gives me an air of erudition I don't really deserve.

When I was in the seminary, we had a song about living together in community. The text was the Latin of Psalm 133:1: "Behold how good and how sweet for brethren to dwell together in unity." The Latin is "ecce quam bonum et iucundum, habitare fratres in unum." The music is pretty awful; I'll sing it if you insist... but it's not worth the bother.

Since I'm a snob (see the profile), I remember thinking how good it was to have people on whom to look down. It was a quick jump from there to, "Behold how good and how sweet: there are people to whom one can feel superior." From there, it was only two more jumps and a "king me"* to Latin-ify it: "ecce quam bonum et iucundum: sunt populi quibus potest sentire superior."

*Didja get the spiffy checkers reference?

All of which was brought back to mind today when I saw this on one of my daily comics, Diesel Sweeties:

No comments:

Post a Comment