Saturday, February 24, 2018

was gonna be 45 miles

We were at about 25 miles at 10:50 am when the rain started in earnest. That's when we decided not to head for the stop (planned for about mile 31) and to go straight back to the start, and the cars, instead. Tom peeled off a bit before Mercer Park East picnic area, where we were parked, to head for home. I knew Laura had ridden in from home, and I asked if she was going to want a ride, but she figured that if the rain was only as bad as it was by the time I asked, she'd go on her own (and I heard Ricky G ask something similar; Chris C was off the front heading back to his truck).

By the time we got to Edinburgh Road, Laura decided she' risk the weather and peeled off to head for home; Ricky and I caught up with Chris and went back to the cars. The dry, soon-to-be-warm cars.

We got into this mess because Tom had sent out an email which I saw Friday morning; he'd been watching the weather, and early reports indicated that we could get a ride in before the rain started; he had a 45-mile route in mind. I resolved to clear things with The Excellent Wife (TEW) and attend.

For once, I was NOT incredibly early, but only because I tried a new route and got lost. Imagine!

When I got there, Chris C and Ricky G were already waiting with Tom.


(a couple of extras, just because I like the way they came out.)



Laura came riding in from home.


And off we went. The only thing I knew about the route was that Tom had planned on a roll down Rues Rd. We chatted about winter, recovery from illness, and being fat and out of shape (like, it wouldn't kill me to lose the eight-or-so pounds I seem to have discovered since Thanksgiving).






Laura stopped for pictures, so I got a few, too.





We stopped at Walnford for a few pics. I remember working a rest stop on a rainy Event there, years ago. (I hear the Event is cancelled for this year. I'm not sorry.)







We got to the sharp turn at Polhemustown, and Tom decided the weather looked like it would hold off, so we started the scenic route to Allentown... until the rain started. But you already know that part.

So now I'm in dry clothes, and the laundry is going. when I see you, you can ask about how I knocked over the file cabinet and killed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment