Thursday, October 11, 2018

jack's jerks

I'd worked on the Sunday and had yesterday (Wednesday) off in exchange, so when I overheard Tom H talking abut a ride for yesterday, in my best annoying-little-brother-that-nobody-wanted manner, I got myself invited along.

It turned out that Jack H was planning the route; when I got to the start, he had planned a route that covered a bunch of his favorite roads. Jack never leads rides, and he's been riding for decades, so this promised to be a good trip.

We met at Moody Park, near where Jack grew up.


That's Jack, Tom H, and Ricky.

We did five miles through Ewing and the area, seeing some of Jack's landmarks, and it was fun poppin' through the neighborhoods. We then headed up towards Pennington and the Sourlands, although we didn't hit all the hills.

We stopped for cows, remembering Laura, who was actually working.



(Yeah. Like I'm gonna know where that was. HAH!)

Somewhere along the way, we got to talking about what to call this group: if Tom has his "Insane Bike Posse", and Laura OLPH has the "Hill Slugs", then it only seems fair that we have a name when we ride with Jack. I think Ricky came up with "Jack's Jerks".

We got to Ringoes with 30 miles under our belts, and Jack started talking about the other roads on his route. I realized we were only about halfway done. It was way more than I expected.


You can see the whole route on the ride page. It's a great ride, but it was longer than I was ready for, and I'm limping a bit today. (I was limping worse at the time I got home yesterday, I assure you!)

After the ride, Jack sent us all an email:
Hey guys, Dorothy says I'm hard to live with since my first leading ride today.  I told her I got rave reviews all day from you all. I may start my own club, Jacks Jive Jerks. I might even do tours.Might even start a blog.
We let him know we'd already decided on the name.

It was a great ride, with people I like. There are worse things to do on a mid-week day off. If the opportunity arises, I hope I can nag my way into another invitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment