Saturday, July 16, 2022

not to raise the attention of the trickster goddess


 Found it! A 30-mile (as near as makes no difference) route from home that is reasonably safe and interesting, that passes toilets, and that doesn't risk the attention of the trickster goddess of Amwell Road.

Trickster goddess? Yes. Forget what you learned in church, and forget that misbegotten Loki of the Marvel comic universe. Gods are powerful and arbitrary, and tricksters are the most arbitrary of all. On one occasion she will be sating you with willing partners followed by pizza and ice cream, and on the next she's gauging reactions when she replaces your digestive tract with a turkey vulture. (She has no particular interest in you; she's just as interested in the turkey vulture's comments.)

So today's was a good ride with no divine arbitrariness. Once again, I set the GPS so I couldn't see time or speed, and went at the pace that felt right. I was almost a mile-per-hour faster than yesterday (likely due to the early start; early AM is my time of day), but I was still passed a few times by the younger-and-faster, so I've got some humility to get right with. OTOH, I met a number of the Major Taylors coming the other way on Canal Road; I thought I recognized Ralph S-J's voice as he called out, and I thought I saw Vern H, and I'm SURE I saw and heard Albert B. So that was pleasant.

And I came up on The Excellent Wife (TEW) doing her ride for the day. We did a little bike-y flirtatiousness, and then I came home. Chores later.

I hope to see some of youse on tomorrow's ride out of Claremont. The hills aren't long or high, but they're nasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment