Sunday, February 12, 2023

before the superbowl ride


 Well, if you had a picture that good, wouldn't you lead off with it?

There are riders who won't come on my C+ rides (average pace 13.0-14.9mph) because even though I ride within the average pace (unless everyone else is way off the front), they don't want to be left behind. I don't leave riders behind.

Sometimes I get left behind.

And sometimes, the fellow riders who could leave me behind, don't, and make sure that I catch up with 'em, and even let me lead for a bit. I'm sure it's partly to make sure that I keep listing some of these rides. (Mine was the fastest-paced club ride listed for today, for example).







Today's was over one of my usual routes. I call it "annoying hills adjusted". One of the riders asked about the "adjusted" in the name; I said I had adjusted the route to avoid one of the riskier turns from the original route. Another rider wondered if I'd adjusted out any of the annoying hills.

I had not. There's only about 1100' of climb on this ride, but much of it is steeper than you'd like, or otherwise unnecessarily unpleasant. (I'll have to think for a bit about "necessary unpleasantness.")

Above, my view for a substantial part of the ride. Below, one of the occasions when the riders were displaying politeness.


We stopped at Thomas Sweet, where I got out-of-focus indoor pictures.






And back. The riders were a bit more mellow after the stop... but I was still the last one in.

Ride page.

I'm hoping that as the weather warms, some of you club members who ride at a pace closer to mine will come out, so I can have some company, and so I won't try to show off to these faster folks. Maybe you can help save me from my worst instincts.


1 comment:

  1. Great ride again Jim - and thanks for that pic 🤣. BTW I just remembered Jim R's nickname is Metric Jim - every ride used to be a metric for him.

    ReplyDelete