Saturday, November 27, 2021

43 miles on a cold & windy day


 I was surprised at how few rides were on offer for this Thanksgiving Saturday, but the weather promised cold and windy (and delivered on its promise, boy, howdy!). It's not that the thermometer was so cold, but the constant wind meant I didn't feel warmed up and loose until many more miles into the ride than usual.

Tom H, showing remarkable good sense, set a route that was mostly into the wind on the way out, so that we'd have a tailwind on the way back (and it mostly worked).

A couple more at the start pics:



From Mercer East, we went up the Trolley Trail, where the rule seems to be that we have to get turned around twice (because that's what's happened both of the times I've gone that way). Then to South Brunswick and to the D&R Canal at Franklin. At that point, we were on routes familiar to me, and we had our stop at Thomas Sweet.

 




After the stop, we headed over some of my usual roads winding up to the park near the top of Herrontown. Tom did a real-estate tour of Princeton, and took us through the back of the Sarnoff compound, and then through the tunnel under Princeton Junction station. (Luis C pointed out that there was an easier way... but easy is not the Hammell way.)

When we got back to the park, Martin G took my Yellow Maserati titanium bike for a spin; he's thinking of a new frame. He appeared to like the feel of the titanium, and also the Selle Anatomica saddle. (I like 'em enough that I have 'em on both my bikes.)

Ride page. Most of the folks probably had faster averages than I.

I've got one listed for tomorrow. I didn't post until this morning, because, like, snow was being predicted!

Also - interview for a job at Sourland Cycles on Monday morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's a good fit for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment