Sunday, November 28, 2021

cold but no snow

I looked at the prediction for today's weather several times last week, and every time, I saw predictions for snowshowers right across the planned ride time for today. So when Laura OLPH sent me an email yesterday morning asking, essentially, "So are you gonna list a ride for Sunday, or what?", I was all set to get all cranky and point her to the forecast.

In a rare display of good sense, I decided to check the forecast again before I sent off the zinger email, and I saw that the prediction was now for cloudy skies, but no precipitation. So I quickly posted a ride listing, apologizing for the late notice and giving the excuse of the dire threats of snowshowers, that had miraculously been averted.

Still, when I was riding to the ride this morning, there were flurries, and I did have about a dozen snowflakes on my sleeves, although everything stopped and cleared up before I got to the start. So there.





I was still weather-suspicious, and picked a route from which I could turn back to the start from several points if snow or rain started, but I needn't have worried; while it was cold (and damp and raw), the skies held off.

The registrants today were mostly among my faster riders, and, while there was a complaint that the ride was generally getting faster, I tried to keep the pace manageable, by allowing faster riders to go off the front where appropriate. Most did early on, but by the end, only one or two were riding ahead, and not always the same people.

We went down Canal to Kingston, then over to River Road, when there was a call for a stop. It turned out that Len C had broken the nose of his saddle off; I got a picture at the stop in Millstone:


I have never seen such a thing on a ride!

Before that, we stopped at the Arboretum, where there is a porta-potty:



When we stopped at the deli, Heddy asked where we were. "Millstone," I said. At her look of confusion, I pointed out that there were several Millstones in New Jersey, as there were three or four Washingtons, and at least two Franklins. Most of these towns are older than statehood.




Above, the mount for her Garmin device, that Ming had been told about by Tom H. Ming wasted no time getting it, mounted it herself, and is apparently delighted with it. Thanks, Tom! (Or was it Peter G? Or some other Insane Bike Posse member?...)

Ride page. Despite my best efforts, we went a bit faster than I would have liked.

This is about the coldest I like to ride. We'll see how future Sundays work out for listings.

No comments:

Post a Comment